Please take a moment to read this article from the NY Times about STEM and the Program Engineering is Elementary (EIE) That we will implement next year.
Below is the text from the letter sent home about our Magnet School Recruitment for Kindergarten Students.
To: Current Parents of Brunson Elementary Students;
Starting in the Fall of 2011, Brunson is a transforming into a district-wide magnet specializing in Science, Technology, Engineering & Mathematics, (STEM). Our staff will integrate these concepts into daily teaching and learning. All our existing academic lessons will be taught and learned through the STEM lens with hands-on integrated lessons engaging students in learning.
Read below for some important information regarding assignment to our New STEM Magnet School.
• Our school will recruit rising Kindergarten students from throughout the county to APPLY and enroll in our STEM School. We will have space for approximately 66 Kindergarten students.
o 22 Native Spanish speakers for our “Transitional Bilingual” STEM Kindergarten Class
o 44 students for our “Traditional” STEM Kindergarten Class
• Any and ALL Kindergarten students wishing to attend Brunson must complete a magnet application. The window is January 1-21, 2011.
• 1st-5th grade students in our residential Zone will continue to be assigned to Brunson without a Magnet application.
• All HAG students will continue to qualify & enroll without a magnet application.
• All rising Kindergarten applicants who have rising 1st-5th grade students enrolled at Brunson will be given first priority.
• It is critical that all families with Rising Kindergarten students apply to Brunson.
• All Magnet Schools will be represented at our WSFCS Magnet Fair.
o Saturday January 8th from 10am-2pm @ Benton Convention Center
For web information, http://wsfcsmagnets.net
Contact information Dr. Kim Morrison, director of magnet schools, 727-2519.
Contact information Jeff Faullin, Principal of Brunson, 727-2856.